- Overview & Introductions – Overview of the workshop objectives and participant introductions.
- About Dashboards & Scorecards – Understand the difference between dashboards and scorecards (and why this workshop is focused on scorecards).
- Visualizing Your Data – Identify the types of charts to display your data for different purposes and understand how to layout your scorecard to communicate effectively.
- Organize Your Data with a Power BI Model – Introduction to Power BI, review of the similarity to Power Query for restructuring data, and overview of the data model concepts.
- Creating Interactive Visualizations with Power BI – How to create measures (data calculations) in Power BI needed for dynamic charts. Review of some key functions of Power BI for data visualizations.
- Hands-on: Create a Facility Scorecard – Use Power BI to create a report. Hands-on session with some of your own data to create your first facility scorecard using the lessons from this workshop.
Workshop Organization and Requirements
These workshops are offered as two half-day virtual meetings in 2021. Each workshop has six modules that are about an hour each: 20-minute presentation 15-minute exercise, 20-minute discussion and 5- minute stretch break.
Group sizes are kept small to allow for sufficient interaction among workshop participants, and custom question/answer help discussions. We use Zoom (and/or MS Teams) for the session based upon participant needs.
- Staff member of an internal facilities group (prior permission required if FM consultant or contractor)
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Excel.
- Familiarity with Power Query (such as experience or attendance of Introduction to FM Metrics Workshop)
- Commitment to attend and participate in the full session.
I work with Facility Data for my organization:
- Familiarity with your facility data to understand its sources and nature.
- Enough understanding of statistics for your work (statistic training is not needed or included).
- Copy of any current benchmarking data sheet or scorecard you use (for your use).
- Copy of your facility source data files to use in the Hands-on session.
Suitable Computer and Software:
- Licensed Microsoft Excel (2016 or newer, preferably Office 365).
- 2 monitors suggested if possible.
Register your interest in this workshop and we will contact you with upcoming dates.