Facility benchmarking for all organizations.
About This Group
This facility managers benchmarking program has been offered for over 25 years. A diverse set of large companies across the U.S. have participated in this program, representing 158 million square feet of space at 85 sites. This benchmarking group grew from a regional group of high-tech firms in the southwest US, evolved to include aerospace and defense companies, and then larger organizations of all types. We now also offer a simpler version for smaller organizations and those only interested in core metrics.
This group is for facility managers of all types of organizations who would like to take advantage of the Facility Issues benchmarking program features:
- Multiple Facility Benchmarking: Some benchmarking programs are oriented for a single building. We offer the ability for you to enter multiple facilities however you normally track them, and also to benchmark for your entire portfolio. The standard Roundtable program is oriented to campus and large complex operations.
- Interactive Reporting: The results from our benchmarking programs are provided in an online business intelligence system that lets you filter and customize the charts to explore the data and meet your needs.
- Government Agency Options: If you are with a government agency, you can use the GSA schedule for some of our programs.
- Independent Third Party: If you source your facility management with an integrated facility service provider, they probably provide you with some benchmarking. Some companies use Facility Issues’ programs to independently track performance.
- Personal Support: We provide online and phone support if there are any technical questions. We provide instruction documents and white papers to help you assemble and use your facility metrics, and periodically hold webinars to review new features and questions.
How Roundtable Benchmarking Programs Work
The contents of the benchmarking program were developed based upon the topics of interest to facility managers. Each year, we review and update the program based upon suggestions and request of participants.
You can contact us to join the program or sign up right on this site. You are assigned a participant code to identify yourself in the results, and you can select if you wish to be identified or completely anonymous. How-to guides are available, there is a Getting Started Webinar, Facility Issues will coach you through the process if you have any questions.
Then you assemble your data and enter it into our online forms or Excel template. The data collected is to measure performance in key areas of facility management and to identify best practices and industry trends. We use common industry data definitions which are provided on the forms and template for reference. If your data is well structured in your corporate systems or even excel files, it can be entered in just a few hours.
Facility Issues reviews and compiles the data per the program schedule and creates interactive business intelligence reports available to participants online (more on the results/reports below). Draft reports are available part-way through the program to let you review and correct data as required. You can also download your data with our Excel template.
The program typically includes an annual networking meeting, *TBD for 2021.
During the year we also run Special Topic Surveys on current issues you are facing that are not covered in the structured benchmarking. The results of these surveys are available to benchmarking participants and anyone else who participating in them.
The Facility Benchmarking Results
The Executive Report (in all program options) compares several key facility metrics in an interactive business intelligence system. The results include: costs for utilities, building operations, janitorial services, building and grounds maintenance, building security, which comprise the majority of facility operation costs. Examples include:
- Organization & Property Demographics
- Maintenance & Custodial Staffing
- Costs by Type (custodial, maintenance, utilities, security)
- Energy Usage and EUI
- Rated practices
An example graph is shown above – each participating institution is shown with a vertical bar. The various color shadings represent the quartiles, and the horizontal black line is the median for the group. You can filter the results by selected categories such as Type of Organization, Property Size (groupings) and other demographic criteria depending on the benchmarking program.
The standard Roundtable program includes additional reports with data on topics such as:
- Property SLA
- Space (composition)
- Supervisor & other staffing
- Cost totals
- Sustainability by quartile (various metrics)
- Work orders
- Site & grounds
- Technology practices
- Practices employed: custodial, maintenance, conservation, space management
- Services commonly managed by the facilities department (mail, food, copy. moves)
- General comments & more
See which participation option is best for you or contact us using the form below with any questions about facility benchmarking for your situation.