Who Should Participate?
The Advanced FM Metrics for Planning workshop is intended for those who want to more easily use a range of facility data for dynamic analysis and facility needs/budget planning.
This workshop will cover the difference between strategic facility planning and project planning, data typically used, and creating forecast model using Power Query and Power BI. The final module is hands-on with your own data to create a simple planning template with your facility data.
- Overview & Introductions – Overview of the workshop objectives and participant introductions.
- Overview of Facility Planning – Understand the different types/levels of facility planning and when to use each.
- Data for FM Planning – Identify data sources and assumptions needed for facility planning, with emphasis on space and budget forecasting.
- Developing Your Planning Model – How to design and build a facility planning model.
- Creating an Interactive Forecast with Power BI – Overview of the function of models (data relationships) and measures (data calculations) in Power BI. Review of some key functions of Power Query.
- Hands-on: Create a Facility Planning Template – Working session to use Power BI with some of your own data to create an initial facility planning template using the lessons from this workshop.
Workshop Organization and Requirements
These workshops are offered as two half-day virtual meetings in 2021. Each workshop has six modules that are about an hour each: 20-minute presentation 15-minute exercise, 20-minute discussion and 5- minute stretch break.
Group sizes are kept small to allow for sufficient interaction among workshop participants, and custom question/answer help discussions. We use Zoom (and/or MS Teams) for the session based upon participant needs.
- Staff member of an internal facilities group (prior permission required if FM consultant or contractor)
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Excel.
- Familiarity with Power Query / Attendance of Introduction to FM Metrics Workshop
- Commitment to attend and participate in the full session.
I work with Facility Data for my organization:
- Familiarity with your facility data to understand its sources and nature.
- Enough understanding of statistics for your work (statistic training is not needed or included).
- Copy of any current facility planning worksheets or templates you use (for your use).
- Copy of your facility source data files to use in the Hands-on session.
Suitable Computer and Software:
- Licensed Microsoft Excel (2016 or newer, preferably Office 365).
- 2 monitors suggested if possible.
We will email an invoice with confirmation of your registration and the workshop date (we may offer an alternative time if session is full).
- $380 General registration
- $340 GSA rate (government employees)
- $190 Employees of participating benchmarking organizations
Upcoming Workshop Sessions:
TBD – Schedule based on demand
From 1:00 am to 4:00 pm EDT / 10:00 am to 1:00 pm PDT